The Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone (AMMZ) has been in effect, with certain modifications, since 2000.
- Maintains a cap on tavern and multipurpose facility licenses (CT, DT, CX, and DX) at ten (10).
- Prohibits nightclub licenses (CN /DN).
- Prohibits the conversion of restaurant licenses (CR/DR) to tavern licenses (CT/DT) or multipurpose facility license (CX/DX) unless the cap has not been reached.
- Restricts the transfer of licenses into the zone to only restaurant and hotel licenses (CR, DR, CH, DH) or off-premises retailer’s licenses, class A or B.
See map below.
The AMMZ exempts:
- Restaurant CR/DR licenses
- Hotels CH/DH licenses
- Off-Premises Retailer A/B licenses
The ABC Board was requested to renew the moratorium for another three-year period, retain the cap on Tavern CT/DT and Multipurpose Facility CX/DX licenses at ten (10) total, and expand the boundaries to 1,800 feet in all directions from 2459 18th Street NW.
The AMMZ took effect February 12, 2020. It will expire June 1, 2023.