The Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis (ABC) Board is an independent body that meets weekly to adjudicate, administer and enforce alcohol and medical cannabis laws. Board members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the DC Council for a four (4) year term. There may be as many as seven members on the Board, with three members constituting a quorum. The current Board members are:
- Donovan Anderson, Chairperson, Ward 7
- Bobby Cato, Jr., Ward 5
- Edward Grandis, Ward 2
- Jeni Hansen, Ward 2
- James Short Jr., Ward 7
The ABC Board is responsible for:
- Approving all applications for new alcohol and medical cannabis licenses, renewals, transfers of ownership or location, substantial changes, suspensions, revocations, the safekeeping of licenses, and voluntary settlement agreements.
- Enforcing alcohol and medical cannabis laws.
- Issuing new alcohol and medical cannabis regulations and policies.
- Referring violations of the law to the Office of the Attorney General and other legal authorities for investigation and prosecution.
- Overseeing ABCA.