On Wednesday, the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board unanimously voted to extend the waiving of registration fees ($100 annually) for medical cannabis patient and caregiver registrations through Thursday, August 18, 2022.
Additional cost savings are available to DC patients—and non-residents enrolled in a program extended reciprocity—through DC’s inaugural medical cannabis sales tax holiday which ends on Sunday, April 24. As part of the 10-day holiday, the six (6) percent sales tax is waived on cannabis products, excluding paraphernalia, purchased from any of DC’s seven (7) licensed dispensaries in-store or for delivery or curbside pickup.
Previously implemented program modifications remain in effect including the following:
- Issued registrations are valid for two (2) years from the date of issuance at no cost for applications received by August 18.
- Applicants 65 years of age may self-certify that they will only use cannabis for medical purposes in lieu of securing a recommendation from their healthcare provider through September 30.
- Telehealth recommendations are accepted.
- Recommendations are accepted for up two (2) years from the date of issuance—an increase from 90-days.
- Patients may purchase up to 8-ounces of cannabis product within a 30-day rolling period—up from 4-ounces.
Additionally, ABRA is now offering walk-in registration Monday-Friday between 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Applicants with complete applications will receive their digital and physical registration at no-cost during their visit. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application online in advance to expedite the processing.
Walk-in registration takes place at ABRA’s Medical Cannabis Program Office in the Reeves Center located at 2000 14th Street NW, Suite 102A (First Floor), Washington, DC 20009. The closest Metro Station is U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (Green Line). Several bus lines also service the area.
Full details are included in the Notice of Third Emergency Rulemaking on Patient Registration Fees.
Questions about the medical cannabis program should be emailed to [email protected].