Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Private Club


Two types of licenses can be issued to private clubs:

  • On-premises Retailer Class CX Club: Permits the sale, service and consumption of spirits, beer and wine at a club.
  • On-premises Retailer Class DX Club: Permits the sale, service and consumption of beer and wine at a club.

Alcoholic beverages may be served in open or closed containers in a room or area only accessible by the club's members and their guests.

A club must meet the following criteria:

  • Incorporated for three (3) months
  • Owns, leases or occupies a building
  • Main source of revenue for the operation is not alcoholic beverages


Applicants must be at least 21 years of age.

Board Orders and Settlement Agreement terms apply and may affect eligibility.

To Apply

Applicants must submit an Alcohol License Application. Applications are subject to ABC Board approval.

Private Clubs can obtain a variety of Endorsements to add additional privileges to their licenses, including Sidewalk Café Endorsement, Summer Garden Endorsement, Entertainment Endorsement, Games of Skill Endorsement, Sports Wagering Endorsement, Off-Site Storage, Alcohol Carry-Out and Delivery, Extended Holiday Hours Endorsement, Pub Endorsement, and Streatery Endorsement

Licensees seeking to modify their business operations, including adding an endorsement or a change of hours, trade name, or ownership, must submit the appropriate application(s). See Applications and Forms.

Valid Period and Fees

Licenses of the same class and type expire on the same day regardless of issuance date. Licenses may be valid for up to three (3) years based on the relevant license cycle.

See Fee and Renewal Schedule for details.