Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

ABCA’s office will be closed Monday, October 9 in observance of Indigenous Peoples’ Day and reopen at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, October 10.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

ABC Farmer's Market License Application

A farmer’s market can obtain a license to allow District alcohol manufacturers, brew pub, wine pub and distillery pub endorsement holders to operate as vendors.

As part of the license, a District alcohol manufacturer or pub endorsement holder could provide tastings at no cost and sell sealed containers of its products for off-premises consumption between the hours of 8 a.m.-9 p.m. A farmer’s market license is valid for a six-month period.

A farmer’s market must meet the following criteria in order to apply for a license:

  1. Have at least six vendors that produce, grow or raise the products they sell;
  2. Operate between two and seven hours per market day;
  3. Operate a minimum of six farmer's markets in a six-month period but no more than twice per week; and
  4. Be registered with the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) to make retail sales in the District. Provide a copy of the OTR registration.

An applicant for a Farmer's Market License is required to submit a list of all District manufacturers and pub endorsement holders that are to serve as vendors at each market at least 15 days before the first farmer's market event. An applicant may add additional vendors to the list by submitting an updated list of vendors a minimum of 15 days before the date of the farmer's market that the additional vendors intend to participate.

There are two classes of Farmer’s Market License:

  • Class J: Permits the sale and service of beer and wine.
  • Class K: Permits the sale and service of spirits, beer and wine.

An application may be submitted to ABRA either in person or by mail:

  • 2000 14th St., NW, Suite 400 South, Washington, DC 20009