Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share



Permits the sale of alcohol to other alcoholic beverage license holders in the District. A wholesaler licensed to distribute alcoholic beverages in the District may only purchase and sell products obtained from the primary American source of supply.

There are two (2) types of wholesaler licenses available:

  • Class A - Spirits/Beer/Wine - May be sold to U.S. based alcoholic beverage licensed dealers for resale.
  • Class B – Beer and Wine Only – May be sold directly to consumers.


Applicants must be at least 21 years of age.

Board Orders and Settlement Agreement terms apply and may affect eligibility.

To Apply

Applicants must submit an Alcohol License Application with all required documents and payment Applications are subject to ABC Board approval.

Licensees seeking to add an endorsement or modify business hours, trade name, or ownership, must submit the appropriate applications.

Valid Period and Fees

Licenses may be valid for up to three (3) years based on the relevant license cycle. Licenses of the same class and type expire on the same day regardless of issuance date.

See Fee and Renewal Schedule for details.

Of Note

Authorized solicitors may sell alcoholic beverages on behalf of the wholesaler whose name appears on the license and whom the solicitor represents.

Applicants may apply for a Tasting Permit to provide samples of products to Retailers, Manufacturers, Temporary and festival license holders and Wholesaler staff.

Tastings must be conducted during approved hours of operation at a designated area of the warehouse where the wholesaler is a tenant. Wholesalers may not provide samples of products to the public.