Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

ABCA's office will be closed on Monday, May 27, in observance of Memorial Day. We will reopen at 8:30 am on Tuesday, May 28.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Ward 2 and 6 Exception to Single Sales Restrictions

Off-premises retailers in Ward 2 and Ward 6 can apply to the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board for an exception to the single sales restrictions in their area, which prohibit off-premises retailers from:

  • Dividing a manufacturer's package of more than one container of beer, malt liquor or ale to sell an individual container of the package if the capacity of the individual container is 70 ounces or less; or
  • Selling, giving, offering, exposing for sale or delivering an individual container of beer, malt liquor, or ale with a capacity of 70 ounces or less, as well as spirits (liquor) sold in half-pints or smaller volumes. 

Licensees in Ward 2 and Ward 6 can apply for an exception to the single sales restrictions by submitting the following to ABCA:

  • Completed Exception to Single Sales Ban Application.
  • Copy of a supporting letter from the Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) where the licensee is located or proof that a copy of the application has been provided to the ANC.
  • Letter from the licensee justifying why the exception to the restrictions should be granted:
    • Absence or presence of any primary or secondary tier violations within the 12 months preceding the date of the application,
    • Evidence of the licensee’s participation in the community, and
    • Evidence there has been no significant adverse community impacts such as loitering, littering or other anti-social behavior.
  • Other documents that will support and strengthen the application.

Submit documents to the Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Administration (ABCA) in person or by mail:

  • 2000 14th Street, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009