A one-day substantial change application can be filed with ABCA by a restaurant, tavern, hotel, nightclub, multipurpose facility, or manufacturer holding an on-site sales and consumption permit to apply for permission to have entertainment, extend operating hours, charge a cover, or allow dancing as part of a specific event.
Class A and Class B off-premises retailer’s licenses are able to apply for up to 6 one-day substantial change applications per calendar year. One-day substantial changes allow off-premises retailers class A and class B licensees to permit to the on-premises consumption of alcohol as part of a specific event.
Filing Deadlines for Outdoor Events
File applications for outdoor events with ABCA at least 20 days prior to the event taking place. Outdoor events are defined as those occurring on:
- Outdoor public space, excluding sidewalk cafés adjacent to a building;
- Outdoor private space that is not located on the private property of the building being operated or utilized by the applicant for its event; or
- Another property owner’s private space, such as an outdoor parking lot.
Filing Deadlines for Indoor Events
File applications for indoor events at least seven days prior to the event taking place. An indoor event is categorized as occurring inside of or on site of a building, including a building’s:
- Outdoor courtyard,
- Summer garden or rooftop deck, or
- Sidewalk café that is located adjacent to the applicant's building provided that a public space permit or written approval has been issued by the District Department of Transportation.
Applicants should submit applications for large indoor and outdoor events well in advance of the deadline.
Filing the Application
Follow the instructions and complete the form below to apply for a one-day substantial change to an alcoholic beverage license. Forms must be returned in person to ABCA's office:
- 2000 14th Street, NW, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009