Permits the growing of cannabis for sale and distribution to licensed manufacturers, retailers, and internet retailers in DC for resale to eligible patients and caregivers.
- Tier 1=Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 0 sq ft but no more than 10,000 sq ft
- Tier 2=Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 10,000 sq ft but no more than 25,000 sq ft
- Tier 3=Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 25,000 sq ft but no more than 50,000 sq ft
- Tier 4=Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 50,000 sq ft but no more than 75,000 sq ft
- Tier 5=Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 75,000 sq ft but no more than 100,000 sq ft
- Tier 6=Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 100,000 sq ft
Applicants must meet general qualification requirements including being at least 21 years of age. An applicant must be current on all tax filings and not owe the District more than $100.00. An applicant may not hold an interest in a testing laboratory, courier, or internet retailer license. An applicant must be either a for-profit or non-profit corporation incorporated in the District.
Physicians registered to make patient recommendations are ineligible.
To Apply or Renew
Applications are only accepted during open application periods. View Open Application Schedule.
Applications are subject to a 45-day public comment period and ABC Board approval.
Valid Period and Fees
Licenses are valid for up to three (3) years with all licenses of the same type expiring on the same date regardless of the date of issuance. An annual license fee applies. See Fee and Renewal Schedule.
Cultivation Centers must apply for a Manufacturer’s license to manufacture medical cannabis products for distribution to a retailer or internet retailer.
A cultivation center may not be located within any Office of Planning-zoned residential district or within 300 feet of a preschool, primary or secondary school, or recreation center.